This article will provide you with a list of the 7 best private health insurance companies in the United States, along with their features.
Finding the best private health insurance companies in the United States can be stressful because there are many factors that a person needs to consider.
People will need to compare the types of policies the insurance company offers, their premiums, the market share the insurance company holds, and customer satisfaction ratings. It could help people determine which insurer is right for them and their families.
- You will understand what health insurance is about
- List of the 7 best private health insurance companies in the United States
- Each insurance company is listed with their features
- Answers to some frequently asked questions on private health insurance companies in the United States.
The 2 Main Benefits of Private Health Insurance in the United States
Private health insurance is coverage offered by a private entity instead of a federal or state government. Insurance companies and brokers both fall into this category.
The most obvious advantage of private health insurance is that the Insurance can provide coverage for some individuals’ healthcare expenses.
Trips to the emergency room, doctor’s visits, and specialist treatments may be paid for (either in whole or in part) by this type of Insurance.
With private health insurance, huge hospital bills associated with surgery or major treatments might be covered depending on the people’s specific policy.
And a PPO health insurance plan may allow them to choose their doctor, although they may pay more if they are not included in the network maintained by their health insurance carrier.
Private coverage also comes with more choices than public health insurance, such as Medicare. The plan could allow people to choose the options they are most likely to need and omit those they don’t.
The experiences that come with private health insurance include shorter wait times, greater individualized attention, and more sophisticated facilities.
The 7 Best Private Health Insurance Companies in the United States
Below is a list of the 7 best private health insurance companies in the United States
1. United Healthcare
The United Healthcare company, also called United, offers family and individual health insurance plans in eighteen (18) states. People love the available tools and programs, such as rewards programs, house calls, virtual visits, mental health care, and more.
Individual plans from this Insurance can be more expensive than plans from other companies. However, a lot of resources are available for people who can get insured by United.
- The insurance company is the only health insurer partnered with AARP.
- The Insurance company plans are highly rated.
- Virtual visits and free house calls
- Many programs are available with the company, like mental health care, maternity support, support for quitting smoking, and more.
- Plans are expensive.
- In some cases, claims must be submitted by the customer.
- The Insurance is only available in some states.
Managed care company Centene Corporation owns the Ambetter insurance company, and the company provides affordable health insurance marketplace plans.
The Insurance offers 3 main healthcare plans: Ambetter Secure Care (gold), Ambetter Balanced Care (silver), and Ambetter Essential Care (bronze).
The Ambetter insurance company is a great choice if people are looking for good dental and vision benefits. With some of the plans, people’s dental program could cost as low as $12 per month.
- Offers dental programs that are as low as $12 per month.
- Availability of a 24/7 nurses’ line.
- Offers health living rewards program on some plans.
- Not available in all fifty (50) states.
- They are a new company.
- Online customer platform is not encouraged.
As one of the oldest health insurance companies, Aetna company insures people for health, vision, and dental care. As part of CVS Health, the company has an A+ rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
People get convenient walk-in care options by choosing the Aetna insurance company, which is available across the country.
By purchasing an ACA (Affordable Care Act) marketplace insurance plan, people receive $0 MinuteClinic visits, access to telehealth services, preventive care, free screenings, and more.
- The Insurance offers health plans nationwide coverage, HSAs, and wellness programs.
- Quality customer support options are available online.
- Wide selection of providers across the nation.
- No short-term plans.
- The company does not work with independent insurance agents.
4. Blue Cross Blue Shield
BCBS (Blue Cross Blue Shield) is a widely used health insurance provider in all fifty (50) states. The insurance company has served people in the United States for over 90 years.
The company offers individual health insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, corporate health insurance, dental Insurance, and more. Over 1.7 million hospitals and doctors are in the network with BCBS.
- Low-cost plans are available, with $0 premiums in forty-five (45) states for Medicare members.
- Availability of extra benefits with the Blue365 discount program.
- People can get nationwide coverage.
- Separate plans are decided geographically.
Although the Insurance is not available in every state, the Cigna insurance company offers health insurance that is more affordable than others on this list.
The Insurance also includes impressive pharmacy programs, making it a good option for individuals with regular prescriptions for medications.
With standalone drug plans that work alongside Medicare and more than 67,000 contracted pharmacies, the insurance company is an excellent choice for pharmacy programs.
People can connect with a licensed pharmacist whenever they have questions about their medication or receive home delivery with Express Scripts Pharmacy.
- The call center is open 24/7.
- Free virtual medical visits
- Great pharmacy programs.
- Telehealthcare is not available for all plans.
- Only available in thirteen (13) states.
- Annual out-of-pocket limits are high.
If people are looking for Medicare, the Humana company is a great option for Medicare Supplement, Medicare Advantage, or a simple standalone prescription drug plan.
Humana Medicare plans are available in all fifty (50) state, while Medicare Advantage is available in some counties.
Although not all Medicare Advantage plans include prescription drug coverage, people can purchase a standalone prescription drug plan or request the expanded coverage plans available through Walgreens and Walmart.
People can enjoy the SilverSneakers program, which offers access to over 14,000 gyms and fitness centers across the country. The company is also known for its Humana Pharmacy mail-order prescription options.
- The company offers rewards for healthy habits.
- Many plans offer vision, dental, and hearing benefit coverage.
- Great plans are available for 65 years and older looking into retirement or Medicare.
- Some of the plans don’t include prescription drug coverage.
- Short-term plans are unavailable.
- An extra plan is required for coverage when traveling out of the country.
7. Kaiser Permanente
As one of the largest nonprofit health insurance companies, Kaiser is a managed care organization that offers family and individual plans and Medicare and Medicaid.
If individuals are eligible, they can receive extra benefits with certain plans things like help with glasses and hearing aids, an exercise program, and an over-the-counter allowance.
The company also offers CHC (charitable health coverage) if people don’t qualify for public or private coverage. To receive CHC, people have to meet certain requirements.
- The company is a managed care organization.
- Extra benefits include help with glasses and hearing aids, an exercise program, and an over-the-counter allowance.
- Low-cost options are available.
- They are only available in eight (8) states.
Getting a health insurance policy is not as simple as signing up for an employer’s plan, but at least people have control over the plan they get.
Once they figure out what they need and become familiar with the terminology used in health insurance plans, their research will become easier ( we already listed the best private insurance company to pick from).
With the number of options available, people can probably find a plan that meets their needs and budget.
Is it worth having private health insurance in the United States?
People will find that private health insurance coverage ranges from one insurance company to the next and even between the individual plans offered by the Insurance.
But while their exact options vary, there are some mandatory coverage standards that every private health insurance policy must provide.
Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, there are ten (10) categories of health services that all healthcare.gov insurance plans are expected to cover, called essential health benefits.
These include mental health services, outpatient hospital care, pregnancy and childbirth services, prescription drug coverage, preventative care, emergency services, and more.
How much does the United States spend on private health insurance?
In the year 2021, the average national cost for health insurance for a year was $22,221 for family coverage and $7,739 for single coverage.
However, this cost differs considerably depending on the healthcare needs, the state where people live, and the coverage level required.
What are the disadvantages of private health insurance?
As people might expect, the greatest disadvantage of private health insurance is the cost.
What happens if you don’t have private health insurance after 30?
When the Affordable Care Act was first passed, the Act included a health insurance mandate; if people could afford adequate health insurance throughout the year but chose not to purchase it, they were required to pay a penalty fee.
However, beginning with the year 2019, this penalty—called the Shared Responsibility Payment—was reversed on a federal level. People are no longer responsible for this fee if they choose not to carry minimum coverage; no exemption is needed to avoid the penalty.
However, some states still have their health insurance coverage requirements. People should check the laws in their state of residence to see what level of Insurance they are required to carry and what penalties apply for not meeting these minimum standards.
You can learn more from the video below:
- BusinessSeptember 21, 2023How to Brainstorm for New Business Ideas in 2023
- LoansSeptember 13, 2023How to get a 3-year Fixed Home Loan Rate in Australia
- Personal FinanceSeptember 11, 2023How to Apply for a tax file Number In Australia 2023
- LoansSeptember 8, 2023How to Calculate Loan Repayment And Interest