Western Union Company is a financial service company that allows its customers to send and receive money across the globe.
You can send and receive money domestically and internationally through this company, depending on your transaction status.
Moreover, read on to learn how to send and receive money through Western Union in person.
What is Western Union?
Western Union is a modern financial world company that transfers money from person to person and from place to place.
The company was founded in 1851 in Rochester, New York.
It changed its name to Western Union Telegraph Company to transmit and deliver telegram messages.
Eventually, it drew attention to its money transfer service after some financial drawbacks.
The Benefits of Using Western Union
Western Union has outstanding characteristics that distinguish it from other financial service companies. They include:
- Currency Exchange: With Western Union, you do not have to worry about the currency you send. It exchanges currencies of any kind, thus, facilitating the transfer.
- Reliability: Western Union is a trustworthy money-transferring company that people can rely on. The security is well-regulated, and there are no scams and difficulties in transferring cash.
- Quick Money Pick-Up: The money transferred through Western Union can be picked up within minutes after successful wiring by the sender. Hence, it is a top choice for sending and receiving emergency cash.
- Different Location: Unlike other money transfer institutions, Western Union has several places where you can send or pick up money, making it easier for both parties.
The Risk in Using Western Union
- The Disclaimer: Western Union has a disclaimer that signifies that the company is not accountable for any damage encountered by the recipient in the goods delivered, even though the agent was negligent during delivery.
- Mistakes in Processing Remittance: There are mathematical errors during currency exchange that may result in losing your money or impede receiving money on time.
- High Cable Fee: In contrast to traditional money remittance agencies, Western Union charges more basically in transferring money back to families in the Philippines when the Philippines peso is losing ground against the US dollars.
How Western Union Works?
Western Union is a money transferring company that facilitates moving money from place to place safely.
How Western Union operates is straightforward and simple.
Find the location online. Visit it and provide your personal information, including the recipient’s, with the amount to send. And a fee will be charged depending on the amount (10% for a smaller amount).
The clerk provides the sender with a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) to enable the recipient to assess the money on the other end of the Western Union region.
The transaction does not take time depending on the option selected by the sender (The “Money in Minutes” option takes a few minutes to become successful).
Furthermore, international money transfer is performed through Western Union, and the process is faster than international bank wire.
You will pay a lesser fee with international money transfers because the company makes money on the currency exchange.
Using Western Union is affordable for people working in other countries that send money to families without bank access.
Information Needed to Send Money Through Western Union
Before a customer can process transactions through Western Union, there is some information you are required to feed yourself with to avoid problems during the money transfer.
However, it depends if you are sending money domestically or internationally.
But below is how Western Union operates.
- Within Your Home: Transferring money within your country requires you to provide the receiver’s bank name, bank routing number (ABA RTN), and bank account number.
- Outside Your Home: Your receiver’s IBAN and the receiving bank’s Bank Identification Code (BIC or receiving country equivalent). More information may be required depending on the destination.
Western Union Fees for Sending Money in Person
Western Union does the same like every other money transfer accrues a low or high fee.
However, it does not charge a specific fee for sending money in person but $30 per domestic transfer and up to $45 per international transfer.
How to Send Money Through Western Union in Person
Western Union accepts online and offline money transfers, but here is discussed how to send money through Western Union in person.
- Select a Location: Choose any Western Union location online and visit the nearby office.
- Show Your ID: Provide the clerk with transaction details and your valid ID to ascertain your identity. And that of the receivers.
- Pay with Cash: Pay with cash for the transfer, including the fee.
- Share Number: The clerk will provide you with a control number known as Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN). Send the number to the recipient to enable full access to the money sent by you.
How to Send Money Through Western Union Internationally
There are a few steps to consider when sending money internationally through Western Union. They include:
- Create and Verify your Account: Register online within a few minutes and verify your profile with your international passport.
- Select the Destination: Choose the destination and enter the amount of money to be sent.
- Input the Recipient’s Details: For a more detailed description, provide the recipient’s details comprising their names, address, and ID.
- Select your Payment Method: You can send money through a credit or debit card. Once sent, depending on the option chosen by the sender, the money can arrive quickly or slower.
This method is simple (sit in the comfort of your home with your electronic gadget-phone, pc-to process everything).
How to Receive Money Through Western Union
There are ways in which the recipients can receive the money transferred to them. The process includes:
- Visit a nearby Western Union Location.
- Provide the additional Information to the Clerk
- Correct Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN).
- Sender’s name.
- The destination the money is from.
- Expected amount.
- Valid ID.
After that, the money will be disbursed to you when the information provided is verified.
You then sign the receipt and collect the money.
Information You Need to Send to Receive Money From the Western Union
To access the money transferred to you from Western Union, there is information you need to provide. They include.
- Initially, provide your full name.
- Your occupation.
- Amount excepted.
- Sender’s full name.
- Sender’s country
- Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
- Valid ID (current passport and National Identification Card)
How To Transfer Money From PayPal To Bank Account Or Debit Card
How To Accept Credit Card Payments In 7 Simple Ways
How To Get Instant Approval Virtual Credit Card With Instant Use
Western Union is a financial service company that enables wire money transfers from one individual to another, irrespective of the destination.
It accepts domestic and international money transfers, and a transaction fee is accrued but depends on the amount of money sent.
It is a trustworthy and reliable financial service company.
Here are some of your most asked questions about Western Union.
Is It Safe To Send Money Through Western Union Online?
Yes. This is the most straightforward way to transfer money to a person through Western Union because the company uses the latest technology to upgrade its security standard to ensure safety from fraud when you pay online using a debit or credit card.
Can Cash Be Sent Through Western Union?
Yes, you can send cash through Western Union in person by locating and visiting one of the nearby Western Union branches with your valid government-issued ID along with the receiver’s details and then pay the cash.
How Much Money Can You Send On Western Union?
Once your identification is verified, you can send a maximum of $50,000 to Western Union.
How Much Money Can You Send Through Western Union In A Day?
You can send a maximum of $600 in a day.
How Much Does It Cost To Send $1000 Through Western Union?
The cost of sending $1000 through Western Union varies depending on the country.
For instance, sending $1000 cash to UK cost$ 10, and Argentina costs $70.
Can I Send $5000 Cash Through Western Union?
Provided your identity is confirmed, you can send $5000 cash through Western Union.
How Long Does It Take To Send Money Through Western Union?
It depends.For domestic money transfers, it takes 24 hours, while for international money transfers, it takes five business days.
Why Can’t I Send Money Via Western Union?
It may happen due to Western Union’s inability to confirm your identity based on its regulatory principles and internal systems.
How Much Can Western Union Send Without ID?
Western Union can send up to 1000 USD only without ID.
Watch the video for extra descriptions:
- I am a writer and researcher, a practical digital marketer, and a copywriter who communicates value to a society based on years of experience and knowledge in the field.